Cleaning Tips for Allergy Sufferers
While most of us get excited for the end of winter and the blooming of a new season, springtime can be a nightmare for allergy sufferers. The increased pollen count can not only be felt but apparent in the yellow dust on our cars and in our homes. Here are some helpful cleaning tips for allergy sufferers that could help alleviate symptoms this season.
In the Kitchen
• Always use an exhaust fan when cooking. It removes cooking fumes and reduces moisture.
• Make sure your garbage can has on insect-proof lid, and empty trash daily.
• Store food, including pet food in sealed containers to avoid excess moisture which causes mold.
• Mop the floor, wipe down cabinets, backsplashes and appliances weekly.
• Clean out your fridge and wipe surfaces to avoid mold growth.
• Sanitize light switch plates, counter dishracks, and garbage cans.
In Your Living Areas
• Encase your pillows, mattresses and box springs in dust-mite-proof covers.
• Wash sheets weekly in hot water.
• Vacuum weekly, and consider having carpets professionally cleaned each season.
• Wash curtains and blinds seasonally.
• Change your HVAC system filters monthly.
• Dust knickknacks and books weekly.
• Bathe your pets twice a month to decrease allergens they may bring into your home.
• Clean and sanitize HVAC air ducts.
• Control cockroaches, ants, flies, and mice with traps, or hire a professional exterminator.
In the Bathrooms
• Always use an exhaust fan when showering and bathing to prevent excess moisture and hinder mold growth.
• Wash area rugs and bath mats frequently.
• Consider towel drying the tub and shower enclosure after every use.
• Check shower curtains and shower mats for mold and mildew.
In the Basement
• Always wear a mask and gloves when cleaning your basement to reduce exposure to dust, mold, mildew, and pollen.
• Remove any moldy items right away.
• Install a dehumidifier in the basement to reduce dampness, and run it often.
• Consider encasing crawl spaces with a plastic vapor barrier.
• If your laundry is in the basement, make sure your dryer is properly vented to the outdoors.
These are a few cleaning tips for allergy sufferers that could help alleviate symptoms this season. Too busy to stay on top of all these tips? Consider hiring Maid Healthy, a professional cleaning service. Our focus is to enhance the indoor air quality of your home or business. Maid Healthy provides the three top industry services that have the highest impact on indoor air quality – air duct cleaning, carpet cleaning, and maid services. Let us help you have a healthier home this allergy season!